We use the HTTP response codes to indicate the success or failure of an API request:
- codes in the 2xx range indicate success;
- codes in the 4xx range indicate an error having to do with the provided information (e.g. a required parameter was missing, insufficient funds, etc.);
- codes in the 5xx range indicate an error having to do with the bunq servers. If you get such an error, please report it to us via chat.
All 4xx errors include a JSON body explaining what went wrong.
If you are receiving the 429 error, please make sure you are sending requests at rates that are below our rate limits.
Here are our rate limits per IP address per endpoint:
- GET requests: 3 requests within any 3 consecutive seconds
- POST requests: 5 requests within any 3 consecutive seconds
- PUT requests: 2 requests within any 3 consecutive seconds
- Callbacks: 2 callback URLs per notification category
We have a lower rate limit for
/session-server: 1 request within 30 consecutive seconds.